Technological innovation brought to market at scale by ambitious, rapidly scaling companies is an essential force for good when aligned with the long-term interests of humanity.
is building the leading organization working at the intersection of founders and investors to create a new generation of high growth technology companies with responsible innovation at their core.
Responsible Innovation Labs aims to align incentives through culture change, practical frameworks, and infrastructure. Our coalition includes world-class(like the CEOs of Cityblock, Gusto, Guild, Warby Parker),(like General Catalyst, Base10, Bessemer Ventures, Khosla Ventures), and (like Ken Chenault, Youngme Moon, Lila Preston).
In 2023, Responsible Innovation Labs will focus on events (e.g., invite-only dinners, podcasts, webinars, Founders Summit) and company-building resources (e.g., industry frameworks and metrics).
Responsible Innovation Labs sits at the nexus of founders and funders and is therefore well positioned to lead change in the technology sector, moving it to a place where innovation is aligned with the long-term interests of society. This work is important, and the need is urgent. The RIL team has created the platform and the coalition for positive change in the most influential sector at the moment of greatest opportunity. The Executive Director has the opportunity to take it to the next level.
This is an opportunity for a technology insider with a passion for responsible innovation to lead the tech sector in a full-scale responsible innovation movement.
The Executive Director will work closely with the accomplished Board of Responsible Innovation Labs, and a high-influence Advisory Board, to lead and guide a coalition of 50 leading venture capital firms and tech companies who have committed to making progress on responsible innovation. This leader will be supported by a team of passionate functional experts and responsible tech advocates, with experience working in early-stage start-ups and high-growth businesses.
Together they will drive the growth and the adoption of RIL’s company-building resources, while expanding the organization’s influence and member coalition to support the movement.
The key priorities for the Executive Director will be:
- Develop and execute a compelling strategic vision
- Lead the design and execution of the RIL’s updated strategic plan
- Seek out Board input, approval, and updates
- Determine annual plans, budgets, key metrics, and ongoing calibration
Coalition Engagement and Recruitment
- Proactive support and collaboration with the RIL community (Advisory Board, RIL Founders, and institutional investors), as well as coalition members and other stakeholders
- Lead coalition member recruitment
External Relations and Fundraising
- Drive fundraising and other activities to enhance the coalition’s revenues, capacity and impact
- Represent the Coalition in engaging members, potential members, policymakers, the media, and other stakeholders, in support of the Coalition’s vision and mission
- Manage the Board-approved budget, contracts, compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Optimize structures and processes for the efficient and effective operation of the organization with a focus on accountability
Communications and Visibility
- Develop and drive strategic communications to enhance the RIL’s visibility and brand, including social media led by RIL with partners and collaborators
- Lead member communications and build support, tools, and platforms to improve member connectivity and alliances
Convenings and Board Meetings
- Organize events, including the annual fall and spring membership meetings
- Support member committee driven events and conversations
- In collaboration with the Board Chair and Committee Chairs, plan and support meetings of the Board and Board committees, and at times serving as an ex officio participant
Responsible Innovation Labs seeks a driven and passionate responsible innovation advocate whose values, personal mission, and expertise align with the organization’s commitment to building the infrastructure for a better technology industry. The ideal candidate is a coalition builder and charismatic leader with first-hand experience navigating the challenges and competing priorities of building and growing a high-growth start-up company.
This leader will need to be a technology insider with tech fluency, credibility, and confidence to mobilize funders, technology leaders, and policymakers to action in alignment with RIL’s vision for impact. We are looking for a leader who knows the tradeoffs tech entrepreneurs have to make, especially in early-stage, and how to balance them. A leader who believes in accountability, and the power and possibility of a free market where investors and founders hold themselves to a more responsible standard, while also driving profits. The Responsible Innovation Labs Executive Director understands the necessary balance and challenges, and brings others along with them. This values-driven leader has a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and the ability to serve as an exemplar for an organization’s values and foster an inclusive, high-trust, and respectful workplace.
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to the vision of building and supporting responsible business practices, especially for early-stage start-ups, to shape the future direction of the technology sector. The preferred candidate will already have visibility, an established network, knowledge of technology policies and standards, and a track record of coalition-building among other successful business leaders.
While no one candidate will possess every skill and characteristics, additional desired qualifications include:
- Demonstrated success building strategic cross-sector relationships with individuals and organizations of influence at the highest levels, including start-up founders, funders, and policymakers
- Strong executive leadership experience, including communicating strategy to members, partners, funders, and the general public, working with boards on strategy development, priorities, and deliverables, and execution
- Proven fundraising skills, with experience securing sizable investments in the private, nonprofit or public sectors
- Excellent communication and public policy advocacy skills, including writing, presentations, public speaking, and media engagements (including social media)
- Proven results in membership development and engagement
- Financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making, reporting and managing contractorsA resourceful, “roll up your sleeves” attitude
- Bachelor’s Degree, with advanced degree preferred, as well as at least 10 years relevant experience
Salary and Location
The expected base salary range for this position is $200,000 – 240,000, depending on experience; in addition to salary, RIL will offer full health, dental and vision benefits.
Remote. West Coast preferred; willingness to travel for occasional full-staff meetings and to key meetings with funders / key stakeholders (approximately 5-10 days a quarter).
Responsible Innovation Labs's EEO statement
At Responsible Innovation Labs, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resume with a statement expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the “Become a Candidate” button, accessible through the link below.
Note: resumes with a statement of interest will be given priority consideration.