Week 23: What's Happening in AI
AI’s implications for 2024 elections, new producers entering the chip-making game, and AI’s potential to address human loneliness.
We’re back after the holiday break. Below: AI’s implications for 2024 elections, new producers entering the chip-making game, and AI’s potential to address human loneliness.
- The FTC has opened an inquiry to “shed light on whether investments and partnerships pursued by dominant companies risk distorting innovation and undermining fair competition” said Lina Khan.
- Focus: Microsoft’s investment in OpenAI, and Google and Amazon’s investments in Anthropic
Why this is important:
- Previously, regulators were more focused on tech giant’s acquisitions of smaller companies - this focuses on their investments in other companies
- This highlights two trends:
- FTC effort to modernize antitrust law application
- Global trend toward more scrutiny re: how investments influence competition
Policy: latest stories – organized by region
AI Development + Deployment: industry trends, intentional development, and more
Where AI is going: growth, breadth, and pace of technology
Thanks for reading. Feel free to get in touch with your questions, thoughts, or recommendations for next time.